Sunday, March 23, 2014

Introduction

Hi all!  This is my first blog post on something you may have never heard of until 1) you were diagnosed with one or 2) you know or care for someone who has/has had one.   What I am talking about is a Meningioma - a type of brain tumor.

Meningiomas are often benign but some are not.  Benign or not they are still dangerous and can cause all kinds of problems for those who suffer from them.  The tumors are typically slow growing and according to my research, have been found on a MRI scan while looking for other problems.  Such was the case with me.  My "M" was found while looking to rule out Multiple Sclerosis.

The year was 2012 and it started off wonderfully as I had finally had weight loss surgery which I had been hoping to have for years.  I was morbidly obese all of my adult life and with my other health problems I felt that I needed to do something drastic to help me take the weight off.  As a matter of fact I started a blog regarding that life event and never continued updating it because of the story I am telling now.  Anyway, I had the weight loss surgery in January 2012 and  was attending Graduate School but struggling with weird medical symptoms.  I have rheumatoid arthritis, so any ache or pain I contributed to that and kept on with my busy life.  I have been married for 19 years and we have 6 beautiful children, 18, 16, 14, 13 and twin 11 year olds.  The symptoms ranged from headaches to mysterious burning patches of skin ( that was the sensation I felt).  I remember almost fainting in a neighbor's driveway, having horrible, sharp pangs of  random pain out of nowhere; the list could go on forever.

However, one day I was at the hospital pain clinic to get a steroid injection in my neck; I have 2 bulging discs there, and as usual the doctor came in to examine me first and explain the procedure even though I had it done before.  She studied my face and performed some standard neurological tests.  The doctor then asked me how long had the left side of my face been drooping.  I was puzzled because I hadn't noticed any drooping.  She turned to my husband and asked him had he noticed it and he said no.  She brought in a fellow doctor for a second opinion and he concurred that there was definite drooping on the left side.  I was told to see a neurologist in no more than 5 days, given a name and sent home without the steroid shot.

I went to the neurologist and she confirmed that I had what is called Belle's Palsy which causes facial drooping/paralysis on one side of the face.  I was examined thoroughly and asked a lot of medical history questions.  Based on the exam and my condition at the time the doctor suspected I might have Multiple Sclerosis.  A Brain MRI was ordered and it revealed the Meningioma.  I was given the MRI disc after the test to take to my neurologist but curiosity got the best of me.  It was a Friday night and I along with my oldest daughter put the disc in the computer so we could see my brain.  Well, immediately I knew something was wrong as there was this grey blob on one side and not on the other.  I shooed my daughter away and literally googled the image and the words Meningioma and tumor jumped off the page.  I was sweating and quickly took the CD out.  I tried to go back to business as usual but little did I know I would be on an operating table 1 month later undergoing a 10 hour life-threatening craniotomy.  My tumor was wrapped around the left carotid artery, had invaded my cavernous sinus, was millimeters from taking my eyesight and more.

Thank God my tumor is benign or a Grade 1, but not all of the tumor was able to be removed and I also have a brain aneurysm that is being watched via brain MRI's every 6 months.  I have right sided weakness and walk with a cane.  Mostly 1/2 of my head was shaved bald from the surgery and it hasn't grown back so I either wear scarves or a wig.  At times I experience slurred speech, the fatigue I experience is like nothing I can describe to you.  I have anxiety issues now, problems with balance run on speech and or telegraphic speech along with Broca's Aphasia.  I search for words often in face to face conversation.  I have seizures and as of today I still have no driver's license.  I went to speech, physical and occupational therapy at a Traumatic Brain Institute and that helped in the initial recovery.

Anyway, this blog will be about my life post surgery and all of the different things I am learning not just about myself but about mankind as well.  I may blog daily, I may not.  However, I will be constant with my thoughts and feelings, so the blog will be pretty active.   Since the craniotomy I have had an overwhelming need to express myself and write.  So, here goes!  Thanks for taking this journey with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment